Zippy salutes Shep

(Garrett, want to let this through?)

Sunday's "Zippy the Pinhead" comic by Bill Griffith is about
Griffith's memories of Jean Shepherd:

"From about 1957 to 1965, I listened to Jean Shepherd's radio show in
WOR-AM in New York City."

   Voice offstage: Don't stay up so late! This is a school night!
   Kid:  Jeez....

"I dug his rambling, shaggy-dog monologues & thought they were very
hip and adult."

   Big table radio: "Can you imagine 4,000 years passing, and you're
      not even a memory?  Think about it... it's a certainty..."
   Kid (thinks):  ...that is so cool...!

"His wit was like a life raft to me, adrift as I was on the sea of
Levittown."

   Kid holding huge addressed envelope (about 3x5 ft!): I'm gonna
      send him th' biggest fan letter he ever got!!   [I really did!]

"I confess...I was a cultist.... and Jean Shepherd was my guru."

   Kid: We should be studying him in English class, not 'Silas
Marner'!
   Radio: Heh, heh...

"Who knows what deep subconscious effect his late-night loquaciousness
had on me...?"

   Radio: "...tilting forward like tiny furred radiator ornaments,
      moving stiffly over the barren clattering ground..."
   Kid:  Wow.