Re: More Canadian censorship

On 8 Jan 00,  Dib9@aol.com wrote:

> You people scare me!  In your hatred of corporations, you are willing to
> turn programming decisions over to the government.

And of course conservatives, in their hatred of government, are willing to
turn all sorts of important decisions over to corporations, real estate
developers, and other unelected people.

BTW, I don't favor government regulation of program content.  However, the
CBC is a creature of the Canadian Parliament and established to promote
the national culture.  Parliament does have the right to insist that the
CBC fulfill its purposes.

The fight is actually over the fact that, like many political bodies, they
expect to order a government agency to do something without providing the
necessary funding.  That's an old political battle, and they're going to
have to decide whether they want something badly enough to be willing to
put their money where their collective mouths are.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/