Fwd: Re: Applications for 89.3 and 91.1 southeastern Mass.

 ---- you wrote:
> >[...]  How
> >can WGBH-FM put on a station on 91.1 while
> >WSMU is using that frequency?  Is the 89.3 application
> >a blocking action by NH Public Radio?  [...]
>
> Aside from somebody else pointing out that the 89.3 application isn't
> from NHPR, any application on 89.3 wouldn't block anything on 91.1.
> One only has to worry about co-channel, first-, second- and third-adjacent
> channels, and anything on the frequencies 10.6 and 10.8 MHz away (because
> of the 10.7 MHz intermediate frequency used by most tuners).  89.3 is
> fourth-adjacent from 91.1, and thus not an issue.
> -Shawn Mamros
> E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu

I know that numerous stations on the "public" FM band
operate on the same frequencies though close together
geographically.  On a summertime visit to Cape Cod,
I noticed that WBUR satellite WSDH (91.5) was off the
air that particular weekend (maintenance? Vandalism at
the High School where their transmitter is?) so
that depending on whether I was on the Atlantic
side of the Cape or the Bay side, I could pick up
91.5's in Bridgewater, Mass or Coventry RI fairly
well.  But I've eyeballed the WSMU antenna at UMass
Dartmouth, and it's quite close to the ocean.  I
find it hard to believe that multikilowatt NDA
stations can operate on 91.1 as close together as
WNAN and WSMU unless the latter moves.  The 90.9
and 91.1 overlap is one of my pet peeves when driving
south of Boston, and WRNI-AM helps only a little.

Laurence from Methurn

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com