Re: WCLZ 98.9 Follow-Up

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> On 27 Dec 99,  PublicRef2 wrote:
>
> > By calling themselves "The Point", the people at WCLZ have or will soon
> > force every other commercial FM station in the market to drop the word
> > "point" from their frequencies in on-air and other mentions. In other
> > words, as an example, WPOR-FM will now have to call themselves "101-9"
> > instead of "101.9", since otherwise, they'd be giving free promotion to a
> > competitor.
>
> They could call themselves "101-dot-9."

As far as my knowledge of the Portland radio market, the only station that
uses the dot formula is Q97 WJBQ, also owned by Citadel, and being the
only station as far as I know of that says "dot" instead of point (97 dot
nine), that's kinda their trademark...so if WCLZ's "The Point" causes
other stations to change to "dot" then I guess Citadel is screwing itself
over by losing the uniqueness of Q97.......although I honestly don't see
it causing that much of an issue. I don't see WPOR saying
"one-oh-one-dot-nine" just like I doubt WBLM will be "one-oh-two-dot-nine"
it just wouldn't sound right. A WPOR listener isn't going to suddenly be
reminded of WCLZ everytime they hear the frequency.....

on a side note....this is my first post to this list....I subscribed
recently and am finding it very interesting and informative. While I do
not yet have a job in radio, I am currently a student at the New England
School of Communications up in Bangor. I grew up in Saco and was raised
listening to WBLM.....although being a radio student the entire radio
industry is very interesting......and I'd like to thank boston-radio.org
for providing an excellent website and a great mailing list. Happy
Holidays!

Jeremy Mixer
89.3 FM WHSN, Bangor