Re: Sunday's LTAR

Joe R wrote:
>I've been meaning for a couple of days to get this off my chest.  On
>Sunday's LTAR, Donna made a couple of wisecracks of the "Al Gore invented
>the Internet" variety.  This is a perfect example of how a story takes on
>a life of its own, regardless of reality.

Umm, Auntie Donna pleads not guilty.  Bob and I had joked on several
occasions about claims politicians make.  I was merely going along with the
notion that making grandiose claims has become part of the
landscape.  Someday, 100 years hence, a descendent of Mel Karmazin's will
undoubtedly say that it was HIS influence that created the Telecom Act of
1996, and who will be around to dispute that interpretation?

I saw the original statement from Gore and it didn't strike me as
particularly outrageous.  He always HAS been a supporter of
technology.  But, Joe is right-- rumour, legend, and hype (along with
endless misquotes) cause people to believe that a famous person said
something when in fact, they really said something entirely different, or
never said it at all, ever.  The "Urban Legends" sites on the net are
filled with stories of quotes celebrities allegedly made, when in fact the
quote is totally fictional.  Case in point-- I know African-American
students of mine who firmly believe that Tommy Hilfiger appeared on the
Oprah Winfrey show and said he didn't want (insert the N word here) to wear
his clothing.  I have a very religious Christian friend who truly believes
the president of Proctor & Gambel appeared on a TV talk show (depends on
which version you have heard-- Phil Donahue a few years back, or more
recently, Rikki Lake) and explained that he was a member of the Church of
Satan and would be donating a portion of his company's profits to the
Church of Satan-- this alleged incident has been the cause of numerous
boycotts of P&G by fundamentalist groups, all of whom quote the "fact" that
they heard what this guy said on TV.  Trouble is, Tommy Hilfiger was never
on Oprah, and the president of P&G has never been on any TV talk shows nor
has he ever publically discussed what religion he is.  Yet, years
of  "e-mail warnings" (and prior to that, faxed "alerts") have reinforced
the belief that these things really happened, and no matter how many times
the accused people come forward with documented proof that NO THEY NEVER
SAID THAT, the myth re-surfaces again and again.  P.T. Barnum was right--
you can fool too many of the people too much of the time... or was it Mel
Karmazin who said that... or was it Dan Rather.... or was