RE: the simplistic argument of employment at small stations ...

I wouldn't necessarily do so....

If I'm looking for a webmaster, or a PR person with a good IT background, I
would more likely make the same choice as you allude to...

But if I'm looking for a "nuts n bolts" inside guy, then I would still take
the 5 yr. exp. guy. (and then get his behind into an IT program at the
nearest college) Remember, Bill Gates never had a degree, you could very
well have passed him by for Bill Clinton for your IT team...
<g>

Perhaps your attachment to radio places a higher premium on communication
skills (understandably) than the job might actually entail.

In my experiences with IT folks, they're more like 21st century auto
mechanics than they are communicators. My IT team might have one
"mouthpiece" with superior communications skills, but the rest of my team
would be folks that can get my LAN back up and running seconds after it
crashes.

Not to belabor the point.....

-Paul Hofgarten
Derry NH