Re: the simplistic argument of employment at small stations ...

In a message dated 12/20/99 7:46:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ASchinella@aol.com writes:

<< I wonder about your logic here Dan.
 Does anyone out there have any analysis of formats, number of stations, etc.
 available from the past? >>

My point is not that they would go dark, but that they would not hire people
and do local talk.  Most would turn to some kind of automated music format or
leased time and the number of people employed would not change.

I do not dispute that there are less on-air positions in radio today than in
years past.  My point is that has more to do with the economics of the
business, competition for advertising dollars, and competition from new forms
of media, like cable TV and the Internet.  The popularity of satellite
programming and other changes in the business are all a result of these
changes.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine