the simplistic argument of employment at small stations ...

I wonder about your logic here Dan.
Does anyone out there have any analysis of formats, number of stations, etc.
available from the past?
I would bet that if tomorrow satellites no longer worked, all those stations
would figure out something else to do and fast. Sure, some of them might go
dark, and some might change formats from talk to music or whatever. But more
often than not, they would do everything in there power to stay on the air. I
can't argue for what's going on in Maine and I don't have data to prove my
point but it is something to wonder about. I know that many of the small
stations in the Boston area manage to survive without a lot of syndication
and in fact bill pretty low compared to the big boys in the area.