Re: Local radio works...

> Good local radio (say it ain't so!), pulled off by one of Greater
Boston's
> finest broadcasters. Who could ask for more. I just wish I knew when
you were
> on beforehand Bill, since I keep on vowing to catch your show (which
I am
> sure is quite thoughtful and thought-provoking) at some point.
>
> Just curious, did WCCM do anything of a similar ilk while trying to
reach out
> to its Lowell audience?
>
> -Sean

Aw shucks, Sean!  Truth be told, I've got a good gig in that I can
drop some liners into the PC and go my merry way.  I've joined the
majority of radio junkies and gone elsewhere to feed the family.
Havn't had a regular gig for quite some time.  Not a complaint, just
an accepted reality.  Putting in prod. time at 'CAP keeps the
headphones in the backpack and my kids still get a kick out of the
occas. legal IDs or spots they catch when listening.  (Thankfully, my
wife is far less intrigued by the radio thing!)  I still get that
occas. 3:30 a.m. call to do the AM talk shift which also has its
inherant rewards.

As for WCCM (800 Lawrence) I'd suspect that Lawrence's Salvation Army
would likely take precedence if it were the station's cause.  The WCAP
Salvation Army relationship is much more interwoven then meets the
ear, however, and dates back, literally, decades.  The late (WCAP
founder & Pres.) Ike Cohen was very active in the Salvation Army in
Lowell (on the Advisory Board, etc.)  Ike was the kind of guy who
worked quietly behind the scenes of the organization, and now his
brother, Maurice (surviving owner) have continued the 2 decade
tradition of lending the airwaves to the S.A. each year.
Interestingly, the Cohen's are Jewish, however have supported the
Salv. Army (a Christian ministry) in this way because they simply
liked what it accomplished for the community and how so.

Bill O'Neill