Re: New WCLZ on the way

In a message dated 12/16/99 12:28:36 AM Eastern Standard Time, Chuckigo
writes:

<< my guess is that maybe they've found a home for Lori Voornas? >>

That's the speculation I've heard, though her non-compete runs through
February.  They had her try out a morning show on the Arrow in NH for a
couple of weeks earlier this month but the former host has now returned.
There were lots of rumors about Citadel bringing in Stern last summer, though
putting Stern on WCLZ would cut into the core audiences of both WCYY and WBLM.

As for Chuck's point on the chaotic formats over the years at WCLZ, he is
basically correct but I see most of the format changes since 1986 as more
evolutionary than real format changes.  Since chaging to what was called to
what was called New AC or eclectric in 1986, the station has basically been
going for the same audience on the fringes of the mainstream.  There have
been lots of fits and starts and evelutionary changes, but it has been
basically the same kind of station (weird) since 1986.   When the calls
changed from WKXA to WCLZ (and the power dropped from 100K to 15K due to
co-ownership with WTOS), country was dropped and the format was actually soft
AC for several years.  The change to the eclectric style came in 1986.

I started my career in radio at WKXA (AM 900) while in high school in 1984,
helping out on high school football broadcasts.  After a few months, I
started riding board on WCLZ and later got on the air there, along with
continuing to do football and baseball on the AM.  In January 1986, I left to
go to work for Chuck Bullet at WAYU.  A month later, the program director
that I couldn't stand and who had no confidence in my ability (Jack
Armstrong) was fired and the format changed.  I returned to CLZ in  July 1988
and did afternoons there until January 1990, when Doug Tanger sold the
station.  After being fired by WGAN, I returned to WCLZ as a part-timer in
1993, left again six months later to run a political campaign, returned in
December 1994 and continued in a part-time capacity until being fired in the
spring of 1997.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

-- Dan Billings, Bwodoinham, Maine