Re: those who covered the memorial

In a message dated 12/11/99 7:16:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
plandrsn@ma.ultranet.com writes:

<< WWLP is being dropped by Charter Communications on January 1 on the
 former Greater Media systems, including Worcester, in favor of WYDN
 Worcester (channel 48). >>

I've never heard of this station. Is WYDN a low-power, ethnic broadcaster?

<< There was also a letter to the editor in the Worcester Telegram & Gazette
this week complaining about the total lack of coverage of the fire story
by Worcester's two TV stations, WUNI (27) and WYDN (48).  I agree with
the writer that it is shameful that Worcester had to rely on out-of-town
stations for coverage while its own stations ignored the story. >>

In fairness, WUNI is a Spanish broadcaster that does not offer local news.
They're targeted more for the Boston audience, with mostly satellite and
pre-canned material. While flipping channels, I have seen WUNI occasionally
carrying headlines from New England Cable News (with Spanish voice-overs, of
course).

In Worcester, I thought people (at least those with cable) would turn to
Charter's Channel 3. I know they are supposed to be the news leader out there
in Worcester County, at least they were when Greater owned them. If I
recalled correctly, they had a nightly newscast. I would think they were the
best positioned of any television outfits in the area to bring coverage.
(Just curious, did the Springfield stations cover the story like the Boston
stations did?)

What people should be more up-in-arms about is the lack of coverage by WTAG,
which claims it's the market's news leader. I read several posts on
alt.radio.broadcasting from a Worcester resident noting that WTAG had little
coverage in the heart of the story. Meanwhile, I noticed that WXLO was doing
news updates on the fire even into the middle of this week.

-Sean