Re: Bruins on Radio?

In a message dated 11/27/99 2:07:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dlh@donnahalper.com writes:

<< I wonder how long WBZ will keep the Bruins broadcasts-- yesterday, instead
 of doing news, they were running a Burins game on a Friday afternoon. >>

If I recall correctly, in recent years (after WBZ strayed from their sports
commitment), they signed a five-year contract extension. It's good for the
Bruins, since they have their games rarely preempted, unlike when they were
on WEEI (590) when they would be bumped to 1150 for even Celtics' preseason
games. The only other station in Boston which I would think would be
interested in rights now and have a good enough signal to be a flagship would
be 850, but with 82 Celtics games on the schedule, at least 30 of those games
would have to air elsewhere (presumably WRKO). And when the baseball season
begins in April, right in the middle of the NHL's playoffs and just before
the NBA starts its postseason, their might not be enough dial space. (1510
could be another Bruins' option, but their nighttime signal problems have
already been detailed, and as we know One on One does not run much in terms
of live sporting events, with an exception with their New York station.)

To answer Joe's question: Last year on the night of state elections, the
Bruins game was moved to WESX and WJDA. Even combined that pair has a night
signal which  leaves a lot to be desired. (Neither one will be getting down
to Florida like 'BZ does, leaving those snowbird hockey fans in the lurch...)

--Sean