Re: W-H-RB on the internet

Two observations are in order:

#1 I work at a place where we employ numerous college
students during the summer months to cover regular
employees' vacations;  sometimes in casual conversa-
tions, I discover what aspects of Cultural Literacy
cam be lacking in college-age individuals today.
I could bring up something like the Nuremburg trials
and get a blank stare, and some even confuse the
two president Roosevelts.  And I wanted also to
clarify the Bach to whom I referred because there
are three of them whose music is played today: Karl
Philip Emmanuel; Johann Christian; and the Capo di
Tutti Capi Johann Sebastian.

#2 There are certain recurring themes found in entries
to this site...the "dumbed down" appellation for every
reference to WCRB is appropriate and earned because of
the manner in which this crew of "managers" have
cynically destroyed a once-fine station that only
needed tweaking.  If WCRB were bought up by a
conglomerate and switched to a mass-market format,
eventually another commercial broadcaster would
take up the format, OR (more likely) a public station
like WGBH-FM, the most likely choice, would fill the
breach and Boston would be better off.  Contributors
to this service have commented how ridiculous it is
for WGBH and WBUR to carry the same programs while
the commercial band deteriorates ineluctably.

Laurence from Methuen

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com