No Subject

From: Chuckigo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 00:22:33 EST
Sender: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org

----

>John Bolduc wrote:
>I starting noticing about three or so weeks ago the radio Disney 1560 AM
New
>York New York is coming in quite poorly after sunset and up to about 9PM.
>>

>john, i don't think it's your imagination.  i've not been able >to get 1560

>either up on the maine turnpike (usually headed south 8:45 to >10:45 or so

>each evening).  also, there's nothing but static where one >might hope to
hear
>the news at 1010 WINS or WCBS 880.  had the usual reception on >660 WFAN,
but
>weaker than usual on WABC 770.
>kudos to DC's WTOP 1500.  booming in like a local right down >into
>Georgetown(mass)/Rowley MA.  listened to them for a solid hour+ >and they
put
>on a good newscast.  (btw:  watch out for construction north >and south on

>I-66 heading to and from the beltway...)

>- -Chuck Igo

Hello. I enjoyed a drive from Boston to Georgetown Wednesday night while
listening to all the local AM's in night pattern like it was daytime. WHAV
1490 from Haverhill was coming in very listenable in Peabody, Danvers! WNSH
was listenable all through Route 1 from Saugus up through Georgetown. Many
other examples like 830 from Worcester, 1150 coming in at night in Topsfield
etc.. The only skywave signals that came in was just a little of WTOP, a
very faint WQEW and WHAM, and no 1010 WINS at all.
  There has been many substantial M-Class solar flares that has effected the
radio spectrum below 2MHz. See this link:

http://www.dxlc.com/solar/

This was their Forecast pasted below:

Forecast
The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled on November 18.
CME impacts are possible on November 19 and 20 and could cause active to
major storm conditions. Low frequency (below 2 MHz) radio wave propagation
along east-west paths over high and upper middle latitudes is generally fair
to poor.

This may explain the North South WTOP propagation and the poor
East West signals.

Below are a few of my other favorite solar links: (Very timely)

gopher://solar.sec.noaa.gov/00/latest/wwv
http://www.maj.com/sun/status.html
http://sec.noaa.gov/today.html
gopher://solar.sec.noaa.gov/00/latest/WKHF%09%09%2B

73's

Best Regards!

Kyle (MajorRadioFreak@excite.com)