Re: Carl DeSuze

On 10 Nov 99,  Martin J. Waters wrote:

>         Way way back, like the early '60s, I'm not sure there was much
> separate programming on WBZ-FM. Part of the day, at most, and I'm not sure
> when that started. And when it was running separately, I don't think they
> ran the AM news. I remember the ID most often seemed to be for AM & FM,
> and, of course, it was every 30 minutes, so you heard it a lot. Hell, I'm
> so old, I remember how until around 1962 it was WBZ, AM and FM, Boston;
> WBZA, Springfield.

In 1958, when I first got an FM radio, WBZ-FM did almost no simulcasting.
They signed on at 5:00 PM, with classical music programming, which
included a regular announcer who also did the news on FM only.  They
signed off at midnight.   The only simulcast was on Sunday evenings, when
they did the "Stereo Hour," an hour of stereo broadcasting, with one
channel on AM and the other channel on FM.  Sometime during 1959, they
started to put the AM programs on FM from 6:00 AM until the start of the
separate FM programs at 5:00.

This changed sometime in late 1959.  The AM simulcast now ended at noon,
with the taped classical music that I described yesterday.  At this point,
there was separate programming from noon to midnight.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/