Re: "all-girl" radio

>Sven Weil wrote:
>What frequency did WHER broadcast on? What occupies it now?

        In the 1976 Broadcasting magazine, the on-air date is shown as
October 1955 for the station that by 1976 had changed calls to WWEE. In
1976, it was 1430 kHz, 1 kw, daytime only. It was still owned by Sam
Phillips (Tri-State Broadcasting Service Inc.) He was president. Format was
talk and it was an ABC Information affiliate. As far as I know, this is the
same facility as WHER when it signed on--1430 kHz. In the 1997 AM Radio Log
from the NRC, the station on 1430 is WOWW, now licensed to Germantown,
Tenn., but with a Memphis address, and is 2.5 kW, DA night.
        The first volume, "Last Train to Memphis," of the two-volume
biography of Elvis Presley has some info. about the founding of WHER in the
sections about Sam Phillips. There's also a bibliography and notes for
those who might want to track down more about Phillips and WHER. I think
there may be at least one book-length bio of Phillips.