Re: "all-girl" radio

Although I may be wrong, I vaguely recall that WHER took
over 730 in Memphis when WDIA made an almost
unprecedented move from 730 kHz (well, it was 730 kc
then) with 250W-D ND to 1070 kHz with 50 kW-D/5 kW-N DA-
2. In those days, all US occupants of 730 were
daytimers. 730 was a Mexican IA clear channel (XEX
Mecico City), also used by daytimers in the US and by
Canadian full-time stations, of which CKAC Montreal and
CKLG Vandouver were the best known.

I think that when WHER signed on, it had more power
(500W or 1 kW) than WDIA had had when it was on 730. But
WHER was still a daytimer.