Re: WMWM/Salem 91.7

I thought that WUMB was on a rather tall communications
tower in Quincy. The tower made quite a bit of news a
year or so ago, when I believe the owner got into
problems with either the Mass Dept of Revenue, the IRS,
the City of Quincy, or some combination of the three. I
think the Globe ran a picture of the tower together with
a pretty lengthy story. If I recall, the environmental
vultures sensed that victory was close at hand and were
circling the tower for a kill. They wanted the tower
removed, or at least substantially reduced in height.
Apparently, the owner had increased the tower height
without benefit of the required permits (or so the
environmental groups asserted). As far as I know, the
complaints did not result in any modifications to the
structure. But presumably the owner reached some sort of
settlement with the tax authorities. Such a tower
generates substantial income, although expenses are
relatively modest (taxes, insurance, maintenance, and
lighting). If the owner lacked the cash to pay the
taxes, I'm sure that he could have sold the tower for
substantially more than his investment.