WMWM/Salem 91.7

WMWM predates WUMB by 6 years.  WUMB did not hit the air until late 1982.  It was orginally located on a two-way tower located just adjacent to the south
entry to the Southeast distressway in Quincy.  Unfortunately, they had to
move into the middle of a quarry for a time due to the future construction
of that afformentioned highway.  They had a better signal with 200 watts
before the move to the eventual water tower location in Quincy with 1000 watts
that they have now.  When they moved to the quarry, they dumped stereo. The
signal was dismal, but they had no choice.  Cant fight the state.

WMWM has fine signal.  I used to listen to it in Weymouth, clear as a bell
until WUMB hit the air in 1982.  I have to admit that I would rather listen
to a real college station like WMWM, than listen to another NPR type
station.  When WUMB turned on, good bye WMWM.

-Pete

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)                 *  "Scanning the bands since 1967 !"
33 Stetson St., Apt. 2                  *                  +
Whitman, Massachusetts  02382           *                  |
USA                                     *      73         +|+    de N1GGP
PGEORGE@wellesley.edu                   *                 /|\
XERB@bigfoot.com                        *                 +|+
pqgeorge@hotmail.com                    *                 /|\