Re: WUMB/WMWM

Hi--I've been with WMWM since 1980 (and a DJ there
since 1981)--we were there first.WMWM went on 91.7 in
April of 1976, and I think WUMB went on around 1980 or
so.

I would guess that WMWM is considered a North Shore
station while WUMB covers Boston and the South Shore
(and it gets into a large part of the North Shore as
well). WMWM has 130 watts and the antenna (on top of
Meier Hall on Lafayette Street) can only push the
signal out so far...as Salem is surrounded by hills in
neighboring towns. WUMB has at least 700 watts.

For the most part, there should be no problem in
getting both stations (we also run into an adjacent
at 91.5 with WMFO/Tufts--and, for that matter,
WPAA in North Andover, at Phillips Academy, is on
our 91.7 frequency!)

I remember once we got a letter from someone in Salem
who was upset because he liked the folk music on
WUMB but once we turned on, he couldn't really pick
them up. We explained that WMWM serves the North
Shore while WUMB is focused on Boston, etc.

> How is it that WMWM (91.7) and WUMB  (91.9) are
> allowed to be on
> adjacent channels? 'MWM makes hash of 'UMB on all
> but the best car
> radios in Swampscott

Actually, I have listeners in Lynn who can't really
pick WMWM up because of WUMB...the other way 'round...

seems every time I'm on the North Shore
> enjoying folk on 'UMB,
> here comes 'MWM's rap show to spoil my afternoon.

Personally I, too, would prefer folk to rap...I will
say that the guy on WMWM who does blues on Sunday
mornings is really good :)

Bob Nelson
The Juke Joint
Sundays 9-noon