Re: "all-girl" radio

On 29 Oct 99,  David W. Harris wrote:

> Elsewhere in the Ancient Annals of Announcerettes (Aussie Division):
> "Australian Broadcasting Commission will discharge several married women
> at present holding down air jobs in the various States.  They'll be
> replaced by married men with families." (Variety, 17 June 1936.)

There was a very strong notion in those days that giving a woman a job
meant that she was taking the job from a man who had to have a job to
support a family -- it was assumed that women were working for some other
reason, apparently.

Back around 1953, when my father's business failed, my mother decided it
was time to go back to work.  She had given up her medical practice after
my sister was born, in order to be a full-time mother.  She was almost
hired by the V.A. Hospital in Bedford.  Then they told her they were
giving the job to a man "because he needs the job to support a family."
It never occurred to them that my mother might have needed it for the same
reason.  She ended up being hired by the V.A. Hospital in Albany.  She
transferred to Bedford a few years later.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/