Re: wandering in the North Country

At 09:44 PM 10/27/99 -0400, Kevin Vahey wrote:

>anyhow.... I was amazed, at the intersection of Elm and Hanover in downtown
>Manchester, Oldies 99.1 was nowhere to be heard but WPLM was doing quite
>nicely. ( actually lost WNNE at the WGIR towers)

WNNE?  You mean WNNH?  They're directional with a null to the south to
protect WPLM...reception of them is VERY spotty in Manchester.

>It is hard for me at times to go back to a city that I once worked in,
>remembering how good Manchester AM radio was in the late 60's. WGIR was a
>first class operation ( fair to say Knight's flagship), WFEA took pride in
>being on 24 hours, and WKBR wasn't that bad either.

WKBR and WFEA seemed to alternate being 24 hours...by the early 70s the
tables had switched and 'FEA signed off at 1AM, and WKBR stayed on all
night.  As I recall WGIR didn't go 24 hrs until the early 80s.