Re: the Jim Gray controversy

I am amazed by this controversy.  Apparently, sports reporters are not
supposed to act like journalists.

Jim Gray kept pushing Rose because Rose lied and became combative when Gray
asked his first questions.  If Rose had said something like "This isn't the
time or place to get into that" I bet Gray would have moved on.  At the very
least, I would have agreed that Gray should have moved on.  Considering the
b.s. responses that Rose gave, I don't know what Gray could have done other
than just end the interview.  When you know the subject that you are
interviewing is not telling the truth, a journalist has an obligation to ask
tough follow up questions.

I'm a boxing fan and Gray does the in ring interviews on Showtime's boxing
coverage.  In that role, he has to interview Don King after the shows and he
is the only reporter that I have seen handle King's rap and push him to
answer questions.  I assume that ability is why NBC hired him and I was not
surprised that he pushed Rose.

As for a players boycott, that is certainly their right but they should
consider how much money they would be making without the media's free
advertising of them and their sport.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine