Re: Various replies

In a message dated 10/18/99 7:56:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
beckwith@ime.net writes:

<< Just the same, I find it odd that the awarding of digital spectrum to
current
 analog commercial TV broadcasters is called a multi-billion-dollar
"giveaway"
 while the cost associated with conversion to digital for public TV is called
an
 "unfunded federal mandate."  >>

Good point.  I would say that both claims are wrong.

<>

Channels 6 and 13 would have been sold even if Digital TV never existed.  The
sales were driven mainly be the consolidation in the industry that resulted
from the elimination of ownership limits.  Channel 13's sale was part of a
company break up that resulted from a lack of a succesor to run the family
owned business.

Also, I haven't noticed any reduction in news commitment at WCSH?  Have I
missed something?

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Mainr