Re: Various replies

We will see what happens, but I doubt the conversion costs will force anyone
out of business.  Technology changes and you have to keep up with the times.
There also is the potential for new revenue through the multi-channel
possibilities of digital TV.  The reality is that most TV stations are very
profitable, even in small markets, and the new investment is just a cost of
doing business.

I represent privately owned campground owners in Maine.  Over the last
decade, many of my members have had to invest tens of thousands of dollars to
drill new wells to meet new regulatory requirements under the Clean Water
Act.  This is happening even in facilities that have never had their water
contaminated.  There are no federal dollars available for private businesses
to meet this mandate.  This is just one example of cost mandated by
government but in proportion to the businesses revenue the expenses are
comparable to what broadcasters have to invest for digital television.

The spectrum fees currently charged are a joke.  Broadcasters effectively get
the use of the spectrum for free.  I'm not saying that should necessarily
change, but broadcasters just need to remember that they are making a profit
from a public resource.

As for your comments on retirement investments, I have not seen a crash in
broadcasts stocks due to the costs of conversion to digital television.  And
by the way, I haven't made by living from radio for ovr five years.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine