"The Radio Rabbi" and early remotes

So, I have been doing research on the career of Harry Levi (obm), probably
the first rabbi in Boston to be on the radio on a regular
basis.  Yesterday, I found an amazing letter-- the letter of agreement
between him and the Shepard Stores (WNAC was the station to do the
broadcasts from Temple Israel, which back then was located where Boston
University is, on Commonwealth Ave and Blandford Streets (for you
Bostonians, today that building is Morse Auditorium). The first broadcast
of the synagogue's services and the rabbi's sermons began on 20 January
1924, but Rabbi Levi had previously been a guest speaker on WGI several
times during 1923 (his correspondence refers to it as "the AMRAD station",
which seems to be what most people back then called it).

Perhaps some of the engineers on this list can explain something to
me.  WNAC back then was on Winter Place, which I gather was across from
where the Park Street "T" station is today.  In order for WNAC to run
remote lines all the way from downtown Boston out to the Boston University
area, how would they have done it?  I mean, that's a fairly long distance
for 1924.  The letter from Rabbi Levi to his temple's board of directors says:

We have discussed [the broadcasting of our services] with the officials of
station WNAC, Shepard Stores, and with the New England Telephone
Company.... The Telephone Company's charge is fifty dollars per month for
rental of the wires.  In addition, there is an initial charge of $25
because of the necessity of laying special underground wires.  There will
be a further initial expense of about $25 to cover the cost of arranging
the wiring within the Temple.

We shall be compelled to pay for [a] period of eight months... the monthly
cost is fixed and does not vary with the frequency of broadcasting {Donna's
note-- in earlier correspondence, it was explained that Shepard was trying
the services out on a one time a month basis to see what response they got;
if response was good, he was willing to let the temple air a second
broadcast each month}, so that if the Shepard Stores Station is later
available to us more than once monthly, the charge will not be
increased.  Thus, the total annual cost, exclusive of the initial cost of
about $50 for installation, is only $400..."

So, 8 months of 1 broadcast a month (possibly two) for only $400-- such a
deal.  I wonder what it would cost today...  anyway, so what does it mean
about special underground wiring and how would the signal have gotten from
the temple to WNAC with 1924 technology?  It's so interesting how things
were done back then... (By the way, one month later, Rabbi Levi reported
that his first service generated over 150 letters and cards, praising the
broadcast, and a number of donations from non-Jews (!) who said they
enjoyed his sermon!)