Re: WBZ w/Xmtr Problems?

Trouble receiving BZ in Quincy but no trouble picking it
up where I live in Arlington? That's an almost certain
indication that BZ is transmitting from the auxilliary
10-kW TX and ND antenna at 1170 Soldiers' Field Rd. If
BZ were transmitting from Hull, even 50W (never mind 50
kW) would boom into Quincy. With half-wave towers, a
directional pattern that favors Quincy, and salt water
almost all the way, the signal in Quincy and along the
South Shore should be excellent with very little power.

My guess is that the reason for using the auxilliary is
long-deferred tower maintenance. Remember, the towers
were to be replaced over a year ago, but Uncle Mel
decided that maintaining his wallet took precedence.
Surrounded by salt water, as they are, those 60-year-old
towers need pretty frequent painting. If they aren't
going to be replaced for the foreseeable future, those
towers have GOT to be painted. Of course, Mel's idea
could be to wait for a hurricane or ice storm and let
the insurance carrier pay for new towers.