Re: FCC (was: Re: clear channel buys amfm)

Your statement is correct, but there is a chicken and egg situation here.
Did stations abandon local communities or did lack of advertising force
programming changes?  My answer is that stations have been forced to make
changes due to lack of revenue.  The Wal-Marting of America has eliminated
many of the local small businesses that have supported local radio stations.
To survive today, a station must get good ratings to get buys from national
and regional agencies that buy by the numbers.

I would also point out that local ownership does not guarantee local
programming and corporate ownership does not guarantee satellite programming.
 Automation and satellite programming had taken root in small stations across
America a long time before the ownership limits were eliminated.  In some
cases, consolidation and sharing of costs are the only things that have
allowed local programming to survive.

--Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine