Tropo (is it still going on?)

For roughly the past month or so, FM reception in New York City has been
absolutely atrocious.  Could there still be any atmospheric disturbances
going on that are messing up with the FM?  I know it's not my radio
because I talked to my cousin and he's getting the same intense static and
stations bleeding over each other on the dial (like hearing 93.1 on 101.9,
etc.).  Either that or how are we doing on sunspots?  Can someone explain
the whole sunspot cycle to me?  thanks...  Is the same thing happening up
in Boston and the rest of New England?  (I say Boston first because there
are as many FM signals up there as there are down here).
--
Sven F. Weil
e-mail: sven@lily.org