Re: FCC (was: Re: clear channel buys amfm)

Your analysis is solid (I agree that a 1st Amendment challenge would not
stand up) and you are probably correct that the FCC has the legal authority
to impose new limits but they couldn't do it due to political realities.
Senator Burns, the Chair of the Communications Subcommittee, has already
spoken out against the 40% rule that the Justice Department has been
enforcing and he can make life tough for the FCC if they choose to cross him
on ownership limits.

Also, any significant ownership limits would cause a huge economic upheaval
in the industry.  That's something even Clinton/Gore would be concerned about
and with their Hollywood friends now having big money invested in the
industry, I don't even see the administration favoring any significant
changes to the current ownership rules.

--Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

In a message dated 10/6/99 9:54:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,