Re: T.S./H. Dennis Kicking Up Tropo

You're talking about the Damariscotta Drive-In.  I was in that booth last
fall.  He has one of the late Ron Adam's sound systems.  Ron didn't believe
in Drive-in stereo so his system used whatever existing mono front end the
drive-in had and find a line out from it into the transmitter.  If memory
serves me correctly, it was a solar cell feeding into a Shure mike mixer
then into the Catel transmitter.  You were right about the AC exciter on
the soundheads.  Most drive-in systems were installed with AC only since
the field speakers couldn't reproduce the 60/120 hertz hum anyway.  We
retrofit them now with Red LED reverse scan kits.  They're so quiet that
you'll think that you've got digital.

Brian

At 01:59 PM 9/8/99 -0400, Roger Kirk wrote:
>Chuck Igo scribed:
> >...have you been to drive-ins where the FM audio
> >quality is good?  the one we frequent up in Maine
> >(Bridgton on route 302) has FM delivery, but has the
> >same kind of "ground hum" we used to get when we'd
> >hook up the ear plug adapter from the tv to our
> >cassette recorders.
>
>It might be that they're running their sound photocell
>exciter lamps on AC (backup when the DC supply fails).
>
>Roger Kirk
>rogerkirk@usa.net

Brian Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
75 Walnut St.
Peabody, MA  01960-5626  USA
Sales & Service ->(800)231-8849 US & Canada
Sales & Service Fax ->(800)329-2775
Business Office -> (978)538-7575
Business Fax -> (978)538-7550

***Visit Our Web Site at www.cssinc.com***
Check out our new online webstore for cinema supplies!
CSS, Inc. is a proud member of ITEA & NSCA