NAC really didn't have much of a chance in Boston

Actually it's the third attempt at this format in recent years.  Before
WSJZ and WCDJ there was WMRQ Boston's Quality Rock.  It is now WODS.

Dave Faneuf

Mike Thomas wrote:

What a load of manure.  WSJZ did do a lot of promotion and marketing.
The station did billboard, some TV, and they tied themselves in with
every major jazz-oriented event in the city.  They hired Shirley
Maldanado as the PD, one of the most highly regarded programmers in the
format.  They did build a small but loyal following, but keep in mind,
the key word here is "small."  Basically, any full signal FM in this
town that can't manage at least a three share 12+ for any length of time
will have it's format changed eventually.  The one thing that Greater
Media didn't do was to give the format more time to develop.

I love the way the smooth jazz freaks keep bringing up the same five or
six successful SJ stations and contend that since it works in those few
markets, it WILL work here.  That's like saying that since a country
station in Nashville is the top biller in that market, that the country
format can do as well in Boston.  It's completely ridiculous. Anyone
that has been involved with this business for any length of time knows
that certain formats do well in certain markets, and others don't.  Jazz
simply didn't work here--the second time around--and I doubt that
another two or three years would have made much difference.

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Mediabase 24/7

- --------- End forwarded message ----------