Re: cbs/viacom

John Mullaney wrote:

>I'm afraid by that instead of the FCC getting back
>all of the much needed spectrum and the TV band all
>being equal on UHF DTV's, that this is going to end
>up being just a way for TV corporations to have
>doubled the amount of bandwidth they all currently
>have for a variety of uses.

Perfect!  Then there won't be enough ad revenue to
go around. To survive, the FCC will have to de-regulate
and allow buyers to own more signals per market.
Buying frenzies will form mega-corporations with huge
debt-loads.  Programming will become less adventurous.
"Safe" shows will be aired.  With high sale prices for
stations, the disenfranchied will cry there's no opportunity
for the "average" guy to obtain a license.  The FCC will
be petitioned to allow Low Power TV stations.  Existing
stations will object because it will cause harmful
interference.  Pirate TV stations will pop up in VT.

Roger Kirk
rogerkirk@ttlc.net