Re: EAS(y)...not...

In a message dated 9/7/99 10:52:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rogerkirk@ttlc.net writes:

<< I'm sorry, but I think a 20 minute delay in warning of a
 tornado could be deadly >>

roger...

   no disagreement with me on that.  when the Tornado warning came, the
clouds were already upon us at I-95.  at least i knew what was going on.  the
spoken timestamp on the alert was twenty minutes to the second (at time of
airing).
the twenty minutes i think is more to allow for a smooth transition.  but at
a minimum, the 20 minutes is to ensure that the warning is broadcast, one way
or the other.  (i would think that the devices could be programmed to
differentiate between the Required Monthly Test  and  an actual ALERT...
maybe put the ACTUAL Alert on a higher priority time frame... five minutes or
less).  since the actual in-studio EAS ENDEC does have an LED window which
indicates "RMT" or "RWT" (monthly / weekly), it should be able to prioritize
for "an actual emergency" in a more (less than 20 minute) fashion.

chuck igo