Re: WSJZ Smooth Jazz

MovieMan:

> 1.  Although I did not write the press release, I was one of the
> collaborators on it.  It is therefore safe to say that the opinions
> contained therein are in line with my own.

Whoever you are.

> 7.  Peter Smythe and Don Kelley were instrumental in the purchase
> and flip of WCDJ to country WBOS earlier in this decade.  This cost
> Greater Media millions.

Your credibility is slipping with this statement.  WBOS is at 92.9,
and came to Greater Media through a station swap with
CBS/Infinity.  WCDJ was at 96.9.  They were suffering from weak
ratings when bought by Greater Media to become country WBCS.
At almost exactly the same time, WVBF went country as WKLB
at 105.7.  That was the major reason for both country stations'
failure to achieve their goals.  However, given the escalating value
of radio stations in the 90's, very few can be said to have lost
millions, certainly not Greater Media.

By the way, Peter Smyth has no "e" at the end of his name.

> 8.  It has been stated repeated in this group that Smooth Jazz has
> failed twice in Boston.  It should be noted that both Smooth Jazz
> stations began the format under different ownership and were
> acquired by Greater Media after they had started the format.
> Management at GM is very concerned that the SJ audience skews their
> Magic audience.

That is simply not true.  Magic's ratings have been consistently
number one for 15 books in a row.  Magic has promoted the Jazz
format on the air, a most unusual practice even in these days of
group ownership.  Greater Media supported Smooth Jazz with
money, promotion, research, and talent, and if someone else
thinks they can do a better job, they're certainly welcome to try.

> I would be interested in hearing the affiliations, if any, of those
> who were most critical of the post and calling it "crap".  Do any
> of you work for Greater Media?

I've mentioned in previous posts that I work for Magic.  I've been
speaking for myself and not Greater Media.  I was critical but I'm
not the guy who called your post "crap."  I'd be interested in
knowing who you are.

Mark Laurence
laurence@sprintmail.com