Re: WSJZ Smooth Jazz

To clear up some of the controversy that has surrounded the press release
that I posted yesterday, here are some comments:

1.  Although I did not write the press release, I was one of the
collaborators on it.  It is therefore safe to say that the opinions
contained therein are in line with my own.

2.  Neither I, nor to the best of my knowledge, any of the other persons
who collaborated on the release, work for the station, its advertisers,
program providers or affiliates.  We have no financial interest in the outcome.

3.  All of the quotes and events outlined in the release have been conveyed
to us by more than one source within the station.  That is to say, we
didn't rely on anyone employee for the dirt.  We have talked to various
individuals in various positions within the company.  The names were
omitted to protect their jobs as many are still employed, and will continue
to be employed by the station after the change.  Their comments about the
change were remarkably consistent.

4.  While I can agree that the release is verbose, it was felt that the
background material was necessary to place the other portions of the
release in perspective.

5.  There is no conspiracy here. If you look at all of Greater Media's
stations, the only one that has any serious numbers out of the 14 that they
own is WMJX.  The individual in charge of the entire radio group, Peter
Smythe and the person in charge of the Boston group, Don Kelley, both have
strong ties to that station and, much like anyone who's proud of their
work, tend to be protective of it.

6.  For the record, GM owns no NAC formatted stations (other than
WSJZ).  In Detroit the NAC station (WVMV - Infinity) is right on the heels
of their rocker WRIF-FM and splitting the 7th place slot with their Classic
Rocker WCSX-FM (in previous books it has beat it consistently).  In New
York, WMGQ is so far down on the list (well behind the NAC station) one
questions if the transmitter has been actually on.  All of the Philadelphia
stations trail the NAC station considerably.  Boston is the only market
where their Magic format is making serious numbers and that they have a
substantial market share.  It appears although GM can't program a
successful NAC station, Clear Channel, Infinity, Emmis and AMFM can.

7.  Peter Smythe and Don Kelley were instrumental in the purchase and flip
of WCDJ to country WBOS earlier in this decade.  This cost Greater Media
millions.

8.  It has been stated repeated in this group that Smooth Jazz has failed
twice in Boston.  It should be noted that both Smooth Jazz stations began
the format under different ownership and were acquired by Greater Media
after they had started the format.  Management at GM is very concerned that
the SJ audience skews their Magic audience.

9.  For the most part, discussions on this group have been thoughtful and
intelligently worded with tolerances for other's opinions.  You don't have
to agree with me but I'd appreciate the professional courtesy of an
intelligently worded reply.  I've stated previously in this post that I
have no financial investment in the outcome of this.  I am simply a
listener of the station.  I would be interested in hearing the
affiliations, if any, of those who were most critical of the post and
calling it "crap".  Do any of you work for Greater Media?