Re: Smooth Jazz 740...?

>We'll have to see if the Save Smooth Jazz 96.9 movement gets any
>results. I remember when a group of country music fans got together
>and, as part of a
>settlement, got country music back on the Boston radio
>dial. Anything can happen.

What station was that?  And when?  I can't recall any such thing happening
in the 15 or so years I've been in this area.  Closest thing I can think
of in the commercial radio sphere was the 'BCN strike, but that was 20
years ago now.  Times change, and for anyone who thinks that sort of thing
would have any effect on a commercial radio owner today, I have a bridge
over the Mystic River to sell you, real cheap too...

I do have to agree with those who find the "conspiracy theory" in the press
release to be pretty laughable.  Thing is, even if a format is "successful",
it will always lose out to a format that (at least in the eyes of ownership)
stands a chance to be more successful.

It's no skin off my nose either way.  Smooth jazz is the 90's equivalent of
elevator music; talk radio reminds me of that saying that compares opinions
to a part of the anatomy that everybody has one of...  Guess 96.9 stays out
of my presets <shrug>.  I stopped expecting commercial radio to serve my
musical tastes a long time ago.  If I find a station I like, great, but
I don't expect it to last forever.

- -Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu