Re: WDRC-FM playlist (Was Re: Wide-open FM reception in CT)

At 09:44 AM 9/4/99 -0400, Martin J. Waters wrote:

>        I don't know whether particular songs have been trashed, so I may
>have stated it unclearly. I just mean that the mix seems different--IMO, a
>lot less '50s. So, then I presume that means they've trimmed the list of
>50s songs that they use, although they could be just using them all less
>frequently. One way or another, they're playing less of something to make
>room for the new material.

This has been a trend in oldies radio for some time now, downplaying the
50s stuff (and has been lamented by some of the older members of this list
for some time).  I personally don't mind, as I'm a bit too young to
remember that era, and the "Blue Suede Radio" image oldies stations had in
the 70s & early 80s kind of annoyed me anyway.

Someone mentioned only a matter of time before Chuck Berry appears on MOYL
stations...this DOES leave a hole for an older-skewing oldies
format..featuring primarily pre-British invasion oldies.  It might be a
niche format that can generate enough revenue to pay for itself,
particularly as part of a larger group...seems to be a lot more passion for
this stuff than for 70s gold that isn't either classic rock or jammin'-type
oldies.  Ditto for FM talk.