Wide-open FM reception in CT

All of southern New England, New York City, Long Island and New Jersey
seemed to be booming in on FM and VHF Thursday night here in central CT.

I work nights at a newspaper and was hearing Brooklyn all night long on
the newsroom scanner (154.37) -- lots of references to Coney Island that
baffled a rookie reporter who surmised that the "good weather" was
bringing in the DX.

Around midnight, I did a quick scan of the 2-meter ham band and found a
repeater at 145.39. Didn't catch the ID, but all three operators were in
central or northern New Jersey.

Getting out of work at 2, I scanned the car radio dial and found WCTK
New Bedford (98.1) pounding in like a local. Plenty of other RI, NY, NJ
signals as well.

Anyone else experience this last night?

Howard

PS (off topic) -- Has anyone else noticed the broadening of WDRC-FM's
playlist lately? They've added "Oh Wow Wednesdays" to their programming
- -- one or two forgotten oldies every hour -- but, beyond that, the
standard fare is being supplemented with buried treasures like Wilson
Pickett's "634-5789," Tommy Roe's "Jam Up and Jelly Tight," Stevie
Wonder's "A Place in the Sun," Herman's Hermits' "Dandy" and Fantastic
Johnny C's "Boogaloo Down Broadway."

Could it be? A radio station that's finally listening to radio/music
geeks?