Wierd Time Thing

<<On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 08:29:47 -0600, "Chip" <djell@lakemac.net> said:

> AND does anyone have a time source you can dial up and hear over the phone
> besides WWV and Bell Atlantic so I can figure out which one is (more)
> correct.. I assume Bell Atlantic is wrong, but want to be sure..

The US Naval Observatory's Master Clock -- the official legal time
standard of the United States -- is available by phone.  Quoth
<http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/phones.html>:

	Time Voice Announcer             (202) 762-1401 & 762-1069
	Washington, DC
	(Long distance time may be delayed).

	Land Line Voice Time without delay     900-410-TIME
	(50 cents 1st minute, 45 cents/minute thereafter)

In case you were wondering, WWV is driven by the National Institute of
Standards and Technology's atomic clock system, which is the official
legal *frequency* standard of the United States.  The WWV, WWVB, and
WWVH carriers are referenced to that array (which explains the choice
of frequencies).  See
<http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/pubs/sp432/sp432.htm>.

- -GAWollman

- --