Re: DIGITAL AM radio?????

<<On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:24:02 -0400, David Moisan <dmoisan@shore.net> said:

> Canada has DAB (digital audio broadcasting), but the reciever works on the
> L-band (1.8 GHz);  it is *not* in-band digital like the NAB is talking
> about.  I didn't think CHUM was on the system, I'm wrong perhaps?

All Canadian stations have, and will eventually switch to, Eureka-147
allocations.  The ramp-up of this service was made possible earlier
this year by the conclusion of an agreement between Canada and the US
which provides for mutual coordination of DAB and DARS vis-a-vis
pre-existing services (L-band military telemetry in the US, 2.4 GHz TV
distribution in Canada).  This agreement had the unfortunate result of
Canada agreeing to abandon plans for EU-147 via satellite, rather than
the USAF giving up its silly insistence on using a frequency band
available nowhere else in the world.

- -GAWollman

- --