Local v. Network (Was: 96.9 testing...123)

Mike Thomas re: Imus
> Eventually, after days of trying to hit cues with little success, he
said just
> what you did, "it's a local show, if they want to syndicate it,
fine, but we're
> running it our way.  Still, it's better than trying to figure out
Howard Stern,
> who can go up to an hour without breaking for spots, and often
running thirty
> minutes to two hours past 10AM.

Compared to Stern, Imus is about as clock-tight at Gene Burns used to
be on WRKO!  Ironically, Stern's shtick of keeping Robin T. "news"
going on is considered by many to be the best part of the radio show
AND the part that is not going to translate to the TV side of the gig.
To me, that is not a coincidence.

As the Buggles sang "Video Killed the Radio Star" (launching the MTV
network with that video), successful radio gigs attempting to "look"
good try less to consider what's coming out of that counter radio next
to the cookie jar in Des Moines.

I applaud Imus for staying in control of what is, ostensibly, HIS gig,
as well as keeping MSNBC at bay, subjugated to WFAN's fiscal dominance
and Uncle Mel/WW1's market penetration.

Bill O'Neill