Re: Channel 13 to slash weekend news

I don't disagree with the major points of Chris's analysis, but I would like
to point out that WCSH does not do a full scale weekend morning newscast like
WGME did.  I think the audience and income for such a show is marginal and I
always wondered why they bothered to do it.  I would not consider
cancellation of that program as a major loss of commitment to news, but
elimination of the noon news certainly is.

It should also be pointed out that all the weekend and wekkday morning news
shows on WCSH are simulcast on WLBZ Bangor.  This has been the case for many
years and results in a major cost savings for the company.  I usually watch
WCSH news during the week but switch to WGME on the weekend because I don't
care about car accidents in Bangor and footage of Brewer High School football
games.  Sinclair is not the first company to let the beancounters effect the
news department.  The beloved local ownership of WCSH and WLBZ did it for
years.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine