Western Mass radio

I've been out here in the Amherst area since yesterday afternoon.
Last night I noticed a station at 88.9 doing classical music.
Checking some printouts that I have from the Boston Radio Archives, I
finally identified it as WJMJ, Hartford, owned by St. Thomas
Seminary.It's strong enough to come in well on my car radio, but it
doesn't come in at all inside my hotel room, even with my Sony 2010
radio.

At night, they seem to play classical music continuously.  Tonight,
they didn't even do an ID between pieces.  During the day, they seem
to be playing Beautiful Music, a little more sweet than WJIB, with
ABC news on the hour.  Their legal ID was WJMJ 88.9 hartford, then
they named a couple of other frequencies in other locations, without
giving other call letters.  I heard a few IDs on the hour, and that
was their uniform practice.

The Northampton newspaper, the Daily Hampshire Gazette, has been
telling the story of Tony Long, who recently lost his job as a daily
talk show host on WHMP.  So he decided to run for mayor of
Northampton.  Trouble is, he lived in Hatfield, one town over.  He
claimed to have moved to Northampton on 26 July, and that same day,
he registered to vote in the city and took out nomination papers.

Apparently, his wife and children still live at his home in Hatfield.
He claims that he moved in with his campaign manager, and that's
where he sleeps.  If elected mayor, he says he will move his wife and
children to Northampton.

His nomination papers were challenged on the basis that he didn't
really live in Northampton, and the Board of Registrars of Voters
held a hearing to decide the matter.  After the hearing, they
unanimously decided that he was a resident of Northampton and
therefore validly registered to vote there.  And that is all that he
needs to be eligible to run for mayor.

My efforts to get this 386 laptop to connect to my ISP through the
hotel's phone jack is a story in itself, but I'll spare you that.

Tomorrow, I leave for an amateur astronomy convention in Vermont.  By
the latest weather reports, it sounds as though we'll have lousy
weather.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                              lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503               http://world.std.com/~lawyer/