RE: UPI signs off

>  Bill Piacentini wrote:
>

> >Since the broadcast clocks of the two services don't
> match at all,
> >  it should make for some fun times.
> Hi Pete,
> Could you elaborate on the "clocks not matching?"

A little; I haven't seen the AP clock, but in broadcast terms the
"clock" means the when in the course of an hour certain items are
transmitted.

In UPI's case, there was a four minute newscast at the top of the
hour, a one minute headline at the bottom, a biz report at :31
after, and so on. The AP news provides different things of
different lengths at different times.

Clocks also are used in music radio, where they are used to mean
what category of songs are played when, and when the commercial
breaks are played, etc.

Traditionally each hour has a different sheet of paper on which a
round clock-like face is drawn. The current generation having
little aquaintance with analog clocks I suspect this will be a
quaint historical note soon. I myself have always preferred to see
this in a tabular form, probably not being all that visually
oriented.

- -Pete
Plainfield, NH