Re: imus to land on wsjz

First, Smooth Jazz is nothing more than just a fancy name created by radio marekting
crowd and advertisers in order to repackage the beautiful, relaxing music. Second, although
NAC/Smooth Jazz is a fixed format, it has the most flexibility of all the big commercial
formats. The sound varies from market to market. In markets like NYC or Chicago, with large
African American populations, stations CD101 or WNUA-FM program more R+B vocal pop to
pull away audience from Urban AC's or Urban CHR's. On the West Coast, you'll hear more
Hispanic-influenced music on The Wave(KTWV). Same goes for WLVE(Love) in Miami, which
soon-former 'SJZ PD Sherry Maldonado successfully programmed for many years.

Boston is the largest non-ethnic major market All the Smooth Jazz stations which
were introduced here over the  years competed against the top AC station(Magic106.7) in the
market.
Smooth Jazz in Boston has always been presented as a slight variation of Magic with more
instrumentals and less personality.

In case of Smooth Jazz 96.9, the station  ended up competiting, rather
than complementing, its top sister station. That's a no-no in the consolidation age.
I think the move to blow Smooth Jazz here has nothing to do with the unpopularity of
the format but more to do with making the top station stronger and more profitable....