RE: AP consumes UPI

 Chuck Igo writes:

> <<ASSOCIATED PRESS acquired the UPI wire service today.
> Terms of the deal
>
> having worked with both, let's hope they can combine
> the best of both
> services.
> UPI does/did have really good customer support.  they
> do answer the phones

Over the last couple of years there's been a bit of a resurgence
with UPI for local coverage in NH and there were plans to do that
in VT as well. Some months ago we picked up UPI at WNTK when
Mutual went SK, and we picked up their local service as well,
which started off by supplying state news actualities via the
internet. Over the last month or so the number of actualities had
dropped off to only a couple per week. I believe UPI had between 7
and 10 radio clients in NH - I'll not say stations, because of
today's definition of "stations" is impossible with consolidated
ownership, and so on.

UPI hourly news and such were OK but we got some comments that
"those guys sounded dead".

Well, not as dead as Mutual now is.

- -p