Re: Harmonizers

In a message dated 7/27/99 11:53:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
steveord@xtdl.com writes:

<< Do they even still make them anymore?  It would seem to me that it would be
 cheaper and easier with various digital workstations (which 'most any
 station that counts has today). >>

yes they still make them... and, for what it's worth, they're a valuable
asset to have outboard of your digital system.  if your workstation goes
down, most studios still rely on trusty old reel-to-reel machines, and yes,
the "dinosaur" harmonizers.
plus, i have to admit that the inboard devices are still not perfected to the
point where you can or cannot tell if a time-squeeze program was used...
you'll hear more of a warble effect if the attempt to compress is too great
for the system.
i've worked with both, inboard and outboard:  definitely find the outboard
more versatile.
of course, i still have a yellow grease pencil, edit-all block, and two brand
new blades in my briefcase, just waitin' to cut tape if i have to...

chuck