Re: WGOD, etc.

>f.y.i. Columnist and Author, Cecil Adams of "The Straight Dope" fame (
><A HREF="http://www.straightdope.com">http://www.straightdope.com</A>)
>recently discussed this issue in his latest book "Triumph of the Straight
>Dope."
>According to Cecil, N and A call signs are reserved for the Army and Navy
>exclusively (you have to figure out in which order...) He sites as an example
>NJFK as being the call signs for the Aircraft Carrier John F. Kennedy.

Cecil's full of prune juice, at least as far as this topic is concerned.
The N and A calls are *not* reserved for the Navy and Army.  As someone
else pointed out, N calls have been assigned to amateur radio operators.
I know quite a few people who have N calls, and I can assure you that
they have no affiliation with the Navy.

- -Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu