Re: RE: WGOD, etc.

In a message dated 7/27/99 9:11:21 AM, laurence@sprintmail.com writes:

<< "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@world.std.com> wrote:

> I believe there was a shortwave station with an N callsign a few years
> ago.  Otherwise, I think the N and A calls may be used for utilities.

f.y.i. Columnist and Author, Cecil Adams of "The Straight Dope" fame (
<A HREF="http://www.straightdope.com">http://www.straightdope.com</A>)
recently discussed this issue in his latest book "Triumph of the Straight
Dope."
According to Cecil, N and A call signs are reserved for the Army and Navy
exclusively (you have to figure out in which order...) He sites as an example
NJFK as being the call signs for the Aircraft Carrier John F. Kennedy.
I would provide a link to the index from the book but he has not put this
book up on his web site yet. I hope this helps.